Al-Kindi is often referred to as the father of Islamic Philosophy. He was also a scientist of high caliber a gifted mathematician, astronomer, physician and a geographer as well as a talented musician.
“We ought not to be embarrassed of appreciating the truth and of obtaining it wherever it comes from, even if it comes from races distant and nations different from us. Nothing should be dearer to the seeker of truth than the truth itself, and there is no deterioration of the truth, nor belittling either of one who speaks it or conveys it.”
Original Source Biography:
- al-Kindi from from Ibn abi-Usiba’s Tabaqat al-‘itbia (Arabic html)
- al-Kindi from Muslim Heritage foundation. (link)
- al-Kindi by Ahmed Fouad El-Ehwany. from History of Muslim Philosophy. (E-text) in PDF format only.
- al-kindi by K. KENNEDY-DAY
- al-Kindi from the Mathematics site at University of Saint Andrews, Scotland.(link)
- Rasa’il al-kindi al-falsafiyah. Edited by M. A. H. Abu Riadah (1950). Arabic PDF (25 Megs)
- A Turkoman translation of selected tretiste by Prof. Tahir Asir (pdf)
- On first Philosophy English/Arabic E-text (Edited and Translated by A. Irvy) PDF format only.
- Arabic text in word file. fi al-falsafat al-awla.
Works on al-Kindi:
- Al-Kindi : The philosopher of the Arabs. G N Atiyeh (Karachi, 1966).
- Al-Kindi’s Metaphysics. Albany: State University of New York Press, 1974.
- Scientific weather forecasting in the middle ages : the writings of Al-Kindi : studies, editions, and translations / by Gerrit Bos and Charles Burnett.
London ; New York : Kegan Paul International ; New York (1997). ISBN: 0710305761.
- Oeuvres Philosophiques Et Scientifiques D’Al-Kindi: L’Optique Et LA Catoptrique (Islamic Philosophy, Theology and Science, Vol 29) by R. Rashed (Editor), Jean Jolivet (Editor), Brill Academic Publishers; (1997) ISBN: 9004097813.
- Medical Formulary of Aqrabadhin of Al-Kindi (Medieval Science Pubns, No 7) by Martin Levy. University of Wisconsin Press; (1999) ASIN: 0299036006.
- T al-Tayeb, al-Kindi, Cryptography, Code Breaking and Ciphers. (Muslim Heritage).
- What is philosophy according to al-Kindi by M. Al-Allaf. (PDF)
- Theory of knowledge according to al-Kindi by M. Al-Allaf. (PDF)
- Mathematical philosophy of al-Kindi by M. Al-Allaf. (PDF)
- Natural philosophy according to al-Kindi by M. Al-Allaf. (PDF)
- Essence and Generation in the philosophy of al-Kindi by M. Al-Allaf (PDF)
- I Garro, al-Kindi and mathematical logic, Internat. Logic Review No. 17-18 (1978), 145-149.
- I Garro, The paradox of the infinite by al-Kindi, Journal of the History of Arabic Science 10 (1-2) (1994), 111-118, 143.
- A Ibraham, al-Kindi: The origins of cryptology: The Arab Contributions, Cryptologia, vol. 16, no 2 (April 1992) pp. 97-126.
- M Moosa, Al-Kindi’s role in the transmission of Greek knowledge to the Arabs, J. Pakistan Historical Society 15 (1967), 3-18.
- R Rashed, al-Kindi’s commentary on Archimedes’ The measurement of the circle, Arabic Sciences and Philosophy 3 (1) (1993), 7-53.
- R Rashed, Le commentaire par al-Kindi de l’Optique d’Euclide : un traité jusqu’ici inconnu, Arabic Sciences and Philosophy 7 (1) (1997), 3, 5, 9-56.
- S M Stern, Notes on al-Kindi’s treatise on definitions, J. Royal Asiatic Society (1-2) (1959), 32-43.
- P Adamson, Before Essence and Existence: al-Kindi’s Conception of Being, Journal of the History of Philosophy 40.3 (2002) 297-312.
Related Philosophers & Muslim Scholars:
- Al-Farabi The second teacher after Aristotle.
- Ibn Sina the Muslim philosopher who made philosophy famous.
- Al-Ghazali the Muslim theologian who refuted al-Farabi and Ibn Sina.
- Ibn Rushd, one of the Muslim philosophers that tried to return Islamic Philosophy to pure Aristotlianism.
- Ibn Taymiyah, he had interesting opinions on philosophy . Site
Al-Kindi in popular culture: